About Inkers and Thinkers: Alternative Forms / Voices Comic Book Symposium & Workshops
The J.M. Coetzee Centre for Creative Practice and The University of Adelaide's Discipline of Media presents Inkers and Thinkers: Alternative Forms/Alternative Voices.
This year Inkers and Thinkers features an interdisciplinary symposium and separate day of creative workshops. Come and join our keynote speaker, Aurealis Award-winning graphic novelist Pat Grant, and experts and creative professionals from across Australia for an insightful two days exploring the comic book medium and its many alternative forms and creative voices.
The program for the two days will be:
Day One: Academic Conference, 15th May 2015
¹ The Ira Raymond Room, Barr Smith Libraries, The University of Adelaide
9 am: Conference Opens and Commencement Speech
9. 20 am: Mike Cooper, In Search of the Alternative Superhero
9. 40 am: Claire Langsford, Peter Parker to Glad-Wrap Spider-Man: Recreating Transforming Bodies in Cosplay Practice
10 am: Questions and Discussion
10. 30am: Morning Tea
11 am: Enrique del Rey Cabero, Alternatives and Challenges to the Discourse and Format of Comics in the Last 10 Years
11. 20 am: Can Yalcinkaya, Queer Lines from Straight Guys: Turkish Comics with LGBTQ Themes
11. 40 am: Liam Burke, Alternative Ireland: How the Emergence of a Local Comic Book Industry Challenged Traditional Depictions of Ireland in Comics
12 pm: Questions and Discussion
12. 30 pm: Lunch Break
1. 30 pm: Anthony Castle, Millennial Prophecies and Alternate Realities: Webcomics 15 Years After Scott McCloud’s Reinventing Comics
1. 50 pm: Ben Juers, Peripheral Vision in Comics
2. 10 pm: Ronnie Scott, Art in Space
2.30 pm: Questions and Discussion
3 pm: Afternoon Tea
3. 30 pm: Keynote Speech by Pat Grant
4. 30 pm: Questions and Discussion
5 pm: Official Closing of Conference
Day Two: Creative Workshops, 16th May 2015
² Santos Lecture Room, Level 1 Nexus 10 Building, 10 Pulteney St, The University of Adelaide
10 am: Opening of Workshops
10. 20 pm: Pat Grant, Critical Thinking and the Artistic Process
11. 50 pm: Lunch Break
12. 50 pm: Anthony Castle and Chadwick Ashby, Visualising Storytelling and Artistic Collaboration
2. 10 pm: Afternoon Break One
2. 30 pm: Owen Heitmann and Georgina Chadderton, Standing on the Shoulders of Giants: Drawing Inspiration by Re-Contextualising Newspaper Comic Strip Panels
4 pm: Afternoon Break Two
4. 20 pm: Claire Richards, 3D Anaglyphs in Comics
6 pm: Official Closing of Workshops
Light refreshments will be provided at the Symposium and Workshops, and Bar 9 Central has partnered with Inkers and Thinkers to offer ticket holders great lunch deals for purchasing lunches across both days.
After the Keynote presentation at the Symposium select presenters will also have comics available to purchase. This is an exclusive for Symposium day ticket holders, but we have also partnered with local retailer Pulp Fiction Comics to offer all ticket holders vouchers for purchases in the store.
Finally, we also invite all ticket holders to join us for a ‘Drink and Draw’ after the final workshop at Austin & Austin, located on Austin St. More details about this event will be available on our website and Facebook page.
^plus booking fee