About Vacation School
School of Languages’ annual Vacation School is a preparation day for SACE Stage 2 Continuers languages exams. Teachers and Stage 2 Languages students from DECD (public) and non-DECD schools are invited to register.
The workshops are available in Chinese, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese and Spanish. They have a focus on preparation for:
• Conversation and Discussion,
• Reading and Responding,
• Listening and Responding, and
• Writing in the target language
In addition, students discuss language structures suitable for each section of the exam, marking criteria, past examiners’ reports, and teacher advice.
Free for School of Languages students, DECD students and teachers!
Note: If you are a School of Languages and/or DECD student and do not have the code to get the workshop for free, please contact email@example.com at School of Languages.
When registering, ensure that each student is registered under their name, and that names are spelt correctly, as we use this for the class roll, and their certificate of attendance.
We ask that all teachers who wish to come on site register so that we have accurate numbers.
Program on the day:
8.45am - Sign in at Gym
9.00am - Welcome Gym
9:15am – Workshop 1
10:45am - Morning tea break
11:15am - Workshop 2
1:00pm – Lunch break
1:30pm – Workshop 3
3:15 pm – Summary, evaluations
3.30pm – Close
A lunch van will be available on-site for students wishing to buy their lunch.
*Please be aware that during Vacation School we will be following COVID-19 SA Health and the Department for Education advice, to maintain the health and safety of participants. This will include the following measures:
• wiping down desks with sanitiser
• asking participants to wash their hands before and after sessions, when they go to toilet and during the break.
• reminding participants to cough/sneeze into their elbows or into a tissue (and dispose of it immediately).
• maintaining social distance from others, as far as it is practical
Students under the age of 18 who wish to depart before the finishing time must receive permission from their Parent/Guardian before being dismissed.
It is recommended that students bring:
- Writing materials (e.g. pen, paper)
- Bilingual dictionary
- Lunch, or money for the lunch (see below)
- Folder (or similar) to store handouts
Students are able to bring their own lunch, or purchase from lunch van on the day.
Please note this event is generally not suitable for:
- IB students (It is aimed at SACE exam preparation.)
- SACE Beginners students (It is aimed at Continuers level)
- Stage 1 students (It is Stage 2 exams)
These workshops are based on Stage 2 Continuers exams format.
Terms and Conditions*
*For teachers booking a whole class, please note the permissions below apply to ALL children you are registering.
I grant permission for The Department for Education to create/use:
- photographs, video or audio recordings of my child
- samples of my child's work
- my child's first name and the School of Languages name.
I grant permission to distribute them in the following locations:
- printed publications (e.g. newsletters, promotional material)
- secure intranet websites and publicly accessible websites, including social media accounts.
I also grant permission for my child to be photographed/recorded by external media organisations for publication/broadcast.